THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY HISTORY
The Fairview Area Historical Society organized in 1977 after a year of Bicentennial activities in the township. The organization purchased the (Robert) Sturgeon House in 1979. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Sites since 1980. The house is used as a meeting location, for archives and genealogical records, and as a house museum. It represents two periods in the history of the house: early 1800s when it was built (c. 1838); and Victorian when Robert Sturgeon redecorated to reflect that period in the life of the house.
Robert Sturgeon was one of six children, the second youngest, of Jeremiah Sturgeon, who with his brother William was a pioneer settler in the area.
ADMISSION TO THE STURGEON HOUSE
The Sturgeon House offers free admission in all cases… at least, an event where admission should be charged has not yet been discovered!
The Society offers programs on Fairview’s history to schools, organizations and churches as well as researches and publishes many books on local history, which are available for sale.
Other open dates may arise during each season, but on two weekends dates are known to be open every year (Covid-19 created our first exception). Memorial Day Weekend: (Sunday, Noon – 4 p.m. and Monday, 10:30 – 4 p.m., and the Christmas Open House, always scheduled for the first full weekend of December – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Sunday, Noon – 4 p.m.
WHOSE IN CHARGE?
The organization has a board of seven who oversee the activities and well-being of the Sturgeon House and are charged with preserving and sharing Fairview history. In addition, the board oversees activities at the Fairview Cemetery Chapel, which is open on Memorial Day morning from about 10:30 a.m. until noon, and for possible special events.
The Fairview Area Historical Society is a non-profit tax exemption organization. All contributions, memorials, etc., are tax deductible.